Disability Support Worker
Location: Mackay, Queensland
We are seeking a passionate, energetic and caring support workers with a “can do” attitude, who truly want to make a difference in the lives of people with a disability.
Who we are and why we do it
We are people who care. Engedi provides support to people with a disability, their families and communities. Our clients receive services designed to meet their everyday needs and support them to achieve their goals.
Our workforce is committed to providing a service that is caring, reliable, responsive, flexible, friendly and empathetic. We believe that everyone should have equal opportunities. We advocate for everyone to have a voice. We do this by providing our clients access to quality services and dedicated professionals who can make a real difference in client lives.
An Engedi Disability Support Worker is responsible for providing support that is relevant to the client’s needs and that fits within their individual NDIS goals.
Responsibilities will include:
To perform direct care duties for individual clients including (but not limited to):
- Personal care - showering/bathing, dressing/grooming, toileting - which will include manual handling activities
- Preparing meals and assisting individual clients to eat their meals
- Providing Clients with additional support where required, such as gastrostomy feeding where appropriate training has been provided
- To assist with the administering of medication
To ensure that Clients are given the opportunity to achieve a quality lifestyle and achieve their NDIS goals through:
- Maintaining environment by completing all household duties
- Meet individual needs and contribute to personal growth through the development and implementation of Clients’ programs
- Ensuring that Clients are always afforded privacy, dignity and confidentiality
- Encouraging and assisting Clients to pursue their own individual interests, hobbies and friendships, and are given the opportunity to exercise choice, initiative and self-expression·
- Providing effective behavioural support
- Enabling Clients to participate and be involved in the life of the community
- Mentoring clients and assisting them to develop skills - guiding people to develop independent living skills- “do with, not for”.
To facilitate a good working relationship with all Organisation staff, Clients, their families, the community, allied health professionals, and other significant people, through clear communication and a willingness to work towards the resolution of any concerns.
Skills, Experience and Competencies
- Hold or be working towards obtaining a qualification in disability support
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Current drivers’ licence (mandatory requirement)
- Current Blue Card (mandatory requirement)
- Current First Aid Certificate (mandatory requirement)
- NDIS disability worker screening clearance (mandatory requirement)
- NDIS Worker Orientation Module (mandatory requirement)
- Be willing and available to work a 24/7 rotating roster which includes days, evenings, awake shifts, sleepovers and weekend shifts
- Preferably previous experience supporting people with a range of behavioural concerns and needs
- Basic computer literacy