Engedi Centre LifeSkills & School Holiday Programs
Learning & LifeSkills Program
Develops Skills & Builds Independence.
Includes; Cooking, healthy eating, health & personal grooming, housekeeping skills, gardening, shopping & money skill development, sewing, public transport, relationships & self-esteem.
Back to Basics - Learning & LifeSkills
The Engedi Back to Basics is a skill building program that includes basic LifeSkills. Including: basic numeracy & literacy, cooking, shopping, basic money skills, personal grooming and communication.
Computers are used throughout all of the programs and also includes:
- Learning the basics
- Newsletter article writing
- Using an iPad
- Accessing the Internet
Provides sensory activities that stimulate the senses. Music Therapy is held once a fortnight.
Includes; Music, pamper sessions, tactile activities, taste & smell with bread making and other food sensations & visual arts. Engedi Sensory room located at Engedi House is also included in activities.
Social Group Program
This program is good for school leavers to continue with social interactions and maintain friendships forged at school.
- Coffee mornings
- Movie days
- Social outings
- Sporting events
Programs are run Monday to Friday at our Engedi LifeSkills Centre
23 Holmes Drive Beaconsfield. Phone 49425495
Engedi provides personalised support for individuals who have a disability.
Personalised support is provided within the home environment and also in the community.
Individualised support plans are developed in collaboration with the client. This ensures that the client is receiving an individually tailored supports and services that identifies their individual needs and is compatible with the goals that they wish to achieve.
This support is usually provided on a one to one basis and must fit within your NDIS budget.
- Provide a tailored support plan that identifies individual goals and lifestyle of each individual.
- Support that recognises the strengths and abilities of the individual and provides scope for growth and development.
- Social interaction
- Supported excursions & holidays
- Recreational activities
- Assistance to participate in volunteer & paid employment
- Promoting independence
- Transitional assistance and support
- Community access and life skills development
Supported Independent Living
Engedi provides 24 hour support to compatible individuals, in their own home environment.
Supported independent living arrangements will need to be included in your NDIS Plan. Your NDIS plan will be tailored to your specific needs and will include all supports required by each individual to live independently. These will include activities of daily living, support with household tasks such as meals, cleaning, personal care and will also include skill building.
Engedi currently provide supported independent living in 5 houses in the Mackay area. This is an area of rapid expansion for Engedi Inc. and we look forward to increasing our supported independent living services in the near future.
- To promote independent living arrangements for people with a disability
- Provide support for people to live independently
- To encourage skill and capacity building
Short Term Accommodation Support - Respite
Engedi House is a place of rest and relaxation providing a sense of refreshment & revitalisation
Engedi offers a variety of respite choices. Support is provided to guests who stay at our Engedi House Respite Centre. The house provides room for up to 3 individuals with disabilities at a time. Engedi House has a home like environment and provides a safe, private setting for service users.
If for any reason a person is unable to be accommodated at Engedi House, an alternative arrangement for respite support can be arranged. This may include;
- In-home respite support or brokered respite through an alternate service provider
- NDIS will come under a different category but will need to be included in your NDIS Plan.
- Provide respite support that enhances the ability of the family to continue in their role of primary care provider for the person with a disability
- Provide a comfortable and safe environment and a positive experience for guests
Allied Health Services
Engedi is now a registered provider for Allied Health Services and can provide support to all NDIS participants. We can currently provide services in:
- Occupational Therapy
- Behaviour Support
- Speech Therapy
Our Physiotherapist has been working in the disability sector for several years and dedicated to improving a clients function and capacity through functional exercise programs, hydrotherapy and assistive technology prescriptions.
Our Occupational Therapists have extensive skillsets and experience across the health and disability sectors. They have expertise in all aspects of OT - including: Assistive Technology, Home Modifications, Therapeutic Skill Building Intervention and Functional Needs Assessments; as well as specialisations in Paediatric Occupational Therapy.
Our behaviour support practitioner is a social worker who uses social work theories such as Psychodynamic Theory and Rational Choice Theory to understand complex human behaviours and social environments, which influence the clients' lives and problems. We work with participants and their care team to maximise their independence, build adaptive skills, and positively manage challenging behaviours. In addition, we work collaboratively with key stakeholders to develop and implement positive behaviour support plans, focusing on minimising the use of restrictive practices.
Our Speech Pathologist works from a strength-based approach looking to build on competencies and extend these either in the areas of swallowing or communication. This may include communication devices, machines to assist with breathing for cough to clear or voice projection.
What is Support Coordination?
Support coordination helps you to make the best use of your supports in plan. Support coordination is a capacity building support which helps you to:
- Understand and use you NDIS plan to pursue your goals
- Connect you with NDIS providers, community, mainstream and other government services
- Build your confidence and skills to use and coordinate your supports.
- A support coordinator or specialist support coordinator delivers support coordination services
There are three levels of support coordination that can be included in your plan:
- Support Connection – This support is to build your ability to connect with informal, community and funded supports enabling you to get the most out of your plan and pursue your goals.
- Support Coordination – coordination of supports: This support will assist you to build the skills you need to understand and use your plan. A support coordinator will work with you to ensure a mix of supports are used to increase your capacity to maintain relationships, manage service delivery tasks, live more independently and be included in your community.
- Specialist Support Coordination – This is a higher level of support coordination. It is for people whose situations are more complex and who need specialist support. A specialist Support Coordinator will assist you to manage challenges in your support environment and ensuring consistent delivery of service.
You may also wish to focus on a specific goal in your NDIS plan, such as those related to finding suitable home and living supports. You can use your support coordination funding to work with a support coordinator who has the skills, knowledge and experience to meet your specific needs.
Engedi is a registered NDIS provider. Apart from the above services Engedi also provides;
Funds Management - Managing and maintaining funds under a participant's NDIS Plan. An activity statement will be provided each month if desired
Support Coordination - assistance to implement your NDIS Plan. Linking and sourcing services and supports